Monday, February 8, 2010

Rice Heating Pads


I loved the chenille fabric I used for the burp cloths so much I had trouble falling asleep! I was trying to figure out what else I could make using that fabric. Finally, I remembered seeing a small rice heating pad for aches and pains that I thought would be a great project for me and my aching back. 
   
I have had some oils that I have been meaning to use for about two years so I thought a rice heating pad would be a great use of the oil. Ah, I can just imagine the relaxation I will feel with a hot rice bag on my lower back and the sweet smell of eucalyptus. 


I started by pouring about 3 cups of plain white rice into large plastic bags. I added a table spoon of scented oil. I allowed the oil to infuse the rice while I sewed the bags.

*Next I cut two pieces of fabric about 3'' by 10'' 
*Put the right sides of the fabric together and sewed around 3 sides
*I inverted the bag so the right side of the fabric was now showing
*I then chose to sew two straight lines creating 3 sections within the bag so the rice would not gather on one side. (Don't sew all the way to the top so you have room to fold down the top and sew closed)
*I filled the 3 sections with the rice
*Finally, I closed the bags by folding and pinning the ends down about a 1/4'' and sewed across. 




Now all I need to do is pop one in the microwave, for 1 to 3 minutes depending on how hot I want it, and voila! 


I might be making these for gifts? Maybe the next go around I will make a few longer for across the shoulders?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment